The index of my posts, sorted out by country.
- Going Southeast to Reach the West. A prologue to the stories on Australia.
- Australia, Building A New Nation. A brief history of Australia.
- Sydney’s Symphony. Impressions of Australia’s biggest city.
- Enduring Icons of Sydney. A brief history of the city’s two most iconic landmarks.
- Melbourne’s Alluring Warmth. Impressions of Sydney’s perennial rival.
- Remembering the Fallen. A brief history on a monument to honor Australians who have served in war.
- Advance Australia Fare. From the world to Down Under.
- Sydney or Melbourne? The Reveal. My answer to this perennial question.
- 5 Reasons Why I Fell in Love with Vienna. Find out more why Vienna is my most favorite city so far.
- Land of the Thunder Dragon. An introduction to the series of posts on the Himalayan kingdom.
- Bhutan: A Sunny Welcome. First day in Bhutan, from nice weather to great food.
- Thimphu: Up Close and Personal. A closer look at the Bhutanese capital.
- Entering the Divine Madman’s Land. The epicenter of Bhutan’s phallic obsession.
- Beauty Has A Name: Punakha. Exploring one of the most picturesque places I’ve ever been to.
- Paro: Bhutan’s Sleepy Gateway. From 17th-century dzong to an ancient Tibetan temple.
- The Ascent to Tiger’s Nest. Visiting the most iconic landmark of Bhutan.
- A Travel Through Time, Coventry. A look into Britain’s 12th largest city.
- Opulent Bandar Seri Begawan. Shining golden domes in a very quiet capital.
- Angkor Wat: The Khmer Jewel and Pride. Needless to say this is one of the places that you have to go in your life.
- The Enigmatic Faces of Bayon. A temple adorned with gigantic faces at the heart of an ancient Khmer capital.
- Ta Prohm: A Temple Amidst The Woods. A crumbling temple held together by large trees.
- Cycling around Angkor Archaeological Park. Explore the massive Angkor complex by bike and get healthy!
- Phnom Penh in a Glimpse. A short visit and a little peek to the Cambodian capital.
- The Cambodian Royal Palace. The palace of the Kingdom of Wonder.
- Great to See You Again, Cambodia! An introduction to the series of posts from my second trip to this country.
- Smitten with Siem Reap. How Cambodia’s second city has changed since my first visit.
- Roluos and the Beginning of the Khmer Empire. A visit to a group of temples east of Siem Reap.
- The East Mebon & Pre Rup: Stately Legacies in Eastern Angkor. Among the most impressive ancient temples along the Grand Circuit.
- Inspired by Xingping. A small Chinese town with a majestic backdrop.
- Walking The Dragon’s Backbone. Everything in China seems to be made in a grand scale, including the rice terraces.
- When A Stranger Saves The Day. A story of true kindness of a Chinese young man.
- Shamian Island: The Perfect Conclusion. A much-needed respite after a fun but challenging week in Southern China.
- Nuremberg: The Ups and Downs. A brief history of Bavaria’s second largest city.
- A Very Foggy Day in Hong Kong. The city of skyscrapers covered in mist and fog.
- An Even Foggier Day in Hong Kong. When the fog thickened, my frustration grew higher.
- The Exploration of Hong Kong’s Alleys and Beyond. Going deep into many corners of Hong Kong to understand the city better.
- Learning The History of The Fragrant Harbor. Get out of the crowd and learn the history of this fascinating city.
- A Laid-Back Escape from The Bustle of Hong Kong. If you are in the mood for relaxing in this city, Stanley might be the place to go.
- Kicking Off the Year of the Horse. A visit to Hong Kong for celebrating Chinese New Year.
- An Afternoon at Shek O. An idyllic beach right on the same island where skyscrapers dominate the skyline.
- Sai Kung: A Paradise, A Home and A Past. Mixed feelings on Hong Kong’s hidden paradise.
- An Oasis in the Concrete Jungle. An oriental garden amid Hong Kong’s tall housing estates and overlapping flyovers.
- Recollections of A Lost Icon. A story of a place the world has seen once and would probably never see again.
- Life in A Concrete Jungle: A Photoessay. Photographs from one of the most densely populated places on earth.
- Food of the Fragrant Harbor Part 1: Earth & Sea. Delicacies from Asia’s melting pot.
- Food of the Fragrant Harbor Part 2: Little Treasures. Heaven can come in small pieces of food.
- Tai O: Withstanding Rapid Change. A small fishing village amid rapid modernization on Lantau Island.
- Treasures of A Heritage Trail. A look at how life was like in the territory when the New Territories was still part of China.
- A Boat Away, A World Away. A jaunt to one of Hong Kong’s Outlying Islands.
- From Mei Ho House to the World. The humble beginning of a world-class Asian director.
- A Day of Retreat at Stanley. Revisiting one of Hong Kong’s laid back corners.
- An Unlikely Urban Sanctuary. A small piece of land in the middle of Hong Kong where rare birds find peace.
- Lai Chi Wo: A Lychee Nest No More. The story of a small village’s effort to preserve its wealth.
- Western Hong Kong Island: A Walk Back in Time. Tracing history in Hong Kong’s western Mid-Levels.
- Maritime Asia, Past and Present. A lesson from the short visit to Hong Kong Maritime Museum.
- Hollowed Hill and Enclosed Trees: A Photoessay. Photos from 1881 Heritage, an old building turned into a shopping center.
- A Tale of Three Cities: Hong Kong. Past, present and future of this financial hub.
- Hong Kong at a Slower Pace. Highlights of the fifth visit to the city.
- The Mills: Revitalization with Sensibility. Take a look at a beautifully-done renewal project in the city.
- Tai Kwun: A Reinvented Police Station. Take a look at one of Hong Kong’s most ambitious conservation projects.
- Island Life in Cheung Chau. How life at a much slower pace would look like in Hong Kong.
- A Quiet Comeback. Visiting the reopened Hong Kong Museum of Art.
- A Slice of Kowloon. A stroll around Yau Ma Tei.
- A Look at Hong Kong’s Hybridism. How dualism has defined Hong Kong.
- Sunset Peak and 2020 In Retrospect. A hiking trip that turned out to provide a glimpse of 2020.
- Mahabalipuram: Rise of the Pallavas. Architectural heritage of an ancient southern Indian dynasty.
- The Cholas: Conquerors from Southern India. A brief history of one of the greatest Tamil dynasties in history.
- Vijayanagara: the Beginning. A glimpse of the otherworldly landscape of Hampi and a brief introduction to its history.
- Vijayanagara: the Golden Period. A story of an era when Vijayanagara was at its height.
- Vijayanagara: the Legacy. What remains from the once-largest empire in the South Indian history.
- Kochi: From Spices to Kathakali. Impressions of colonial vestiges in Kerala.
- Perceiving Kerala. Sights and impressions of Kerala.
- Goa and Catholicism in India. The beginning of more than four centuries of Portuguese rule in the Indian subcontinent.
- Chennai: An Enduring Charm. A side of India’s fourth biggest city rarely seen by outsiders.
- Pondicherry: Vestiges of French India. A short stay in Pi’s hometown.
- Thanjavur and the Doctrine of Lapse. A visit to the city’s former royal palace.
- Kolkata and the British Raj. A grand memorial in India’s third biggest metropolis.
- Madurai: Under the Watchful Eyes of 1,000 Gods. A short visit to Madurai’s impressive Tamil temple.
- Jogja: The Soul of Java. Discover why the city of Jogja is truly the heart of Javanese culture.
- The (Friendlier) Face of Jakarta. The less exposed side of the “Big Durian”.
- The Great Heritage of An Ancient Javanese Kingdom. Find out more about thousands of years old UNESCO World Heritage Sites at the heart of the island of Java.
- Dvarapala: The Guardian Statue. Take a closer look at the ancient guardian statues of Javanese temples.
- The Dutch Charm in Jakarta’s Old Town. Take a little look at a more charming part of Jakarta.
- A (Failed) Leap of Faith at Tidung Islands. Idyllic beach on small islands just north of Jakarta.
- A Place Called Home. Home sweet hometown.
- Misty White Crater. Where mountain mist meets volcanic steam.
- Sweet Reminiscence of Tidung Islands. Some interesting pictures around Tidung Islands.
- The Confession of A Fledgling Traveler. First time in Bali, after 26 years.
- Ubud: The Heart of Cultural Bali. Discover cultural side of Bali.
- Bali’s Beach Getaways. Take a little look at some of Bali’s beaches.
- Fun, Fun, Fun in Bali! Some of Bali’s cozy and fun places to hang out.
- Karma Kandara and Nammos Beach. Paradise on The Island of Paradise.
- The Majestic Uluwatu Temple. A humble temple which is perched on the edge of a cliff, just amazing!
- The 26th Southeast Asian Games. 11 countries competing to be the best in Southeast Asia (I wish I were there!).
- The Approaching Excitement. December announcement of my upcoming travels.
- Cemoro Lawang: A Village in The Clouds. A serene village on the slope of an ancient caldera.
- Catching Sunrise at Mount Penanjakan. A perfect place to witness spectacular sunrise.
- Unearthly Mount Bromo and Tengger Caldera. A must-visit place for all volcano lovers.
- Bali: Revisited. An introductory post to my second time in Bali.
- A Fiery Afternoon at Uluwatu. Kecak dance, one of Balinese most famous dances, performed at the edge of a cliff.
- Close Encounters with The Monkeys of The Sacred Forest. Living side by side with animals is good for us.
- Feast of Colors at Ubud Market. A perfect place for shopping lovers and artistic souvenirs enthusiasts.
- Replenishing Holy Water of Pura Tirta Empul. The first post in 2012, with a reason.
- Elephant Cave: The Witness of Hinduism and Buddhism Harmony in Bali. Another great place where two different religions (presumably) lived together.
- An Excursion to Bali’s Highlands. Discover a more peaceful side of Bali.
- The Humble Yet Intricate Pura Taman Ayun. Another Balinese temple, but with different architecture.
- Pura Tanah Lot: A Temple at The Sea. The most amazing sight that I saw on my second trip to Bali.
- A Nostalgic Escape in Bandung. Revisiting the city where I spent my college years.
- Jakarta on A Sunday. A lighter side of the Indonesian capital.
- Candi Sukuh: The Naked Temple. Erotic? Mysterious? Captivating? I let you do the judging.
- A Legacy of The Great Admiral. Zheng He’s most significant legacy to the city of Semarang.
- Lake Toba: Nature’s Wrath Turned Into Eden. A place so calm and relaxing which was once a supervolcano.
- The Intriguing Culture of Samosir Island. This pristine island has an intriguing history which will fascinate everyone.
- The Legend of Samosir’s First Settlers. The King who started it all at Samosir Island.
- The King, The Missionary and The Trial Stone. A dark twist on the history of Batak people.
- Dance and Swing Until The Egg Breaks. The performance of a Batak traditional dance and what the place has to offer.
- Medan: Unexpectedly Interesting. This North Sumatran provincial capital is definitely worth a visit.
- What an Exquisite Deli! When Malay, Spanish, Indian and Arabic architecture combined: exquisite palace and mosque!
- Picture The World – Indonesia. Taking part in a project to create a mosaic of pictures from all over the world.
- A Taste of Home. Even a travel-addict misses delicacies from home.
- Blue Skies Over Bromo. This iconic volcano in Indonesia never ceases to amaze me.
- Tracing Jakarta’s History. A short visit to the once-thriving port of Sunda Kelapa.
- All Traditional at Prembaen Market. Warmheartedness in a thriving traditional market in Semarang.
- On the Bank of A Prehistoric Lake. A light read on a nice hiking trail in Bandung.
- Secluded and Mysterious Plaosan Temples. A glimpse of Java’s less-known ancient temple.
- The House of Indonesian Treasures. Take a look at what the national museum of Indonesia has to offer.
- Divide et Impera: From Borobudur to Vredeburg. How the old strategy of divide and rule created a profound impact in history.
- A Walk in the Neighborhood. Unexpected discoveries from strolling around my neighborhood.
- The Heritage of Cirebon. A look into the once thriving coastal kingdom on the island of Java.
- Gedong Songo: Prelude to Borobudur. A compound of five Hindu temples perched on the slopes of a mountain.
- A Gastronomic Adventure in Semarang. Spicy and tasty, mild and smooth, the stark contrasts of Semarang dishes.
- In Search of the True Bali. Exploring the last few remaining corners of Bali which are yet to be altered by mass tourism.
- Ubud: A Sensory Indulgence. Teasing the senses in the cultural center of Bali.
- Candi Gunung Kawi: A Shrouded Grandeur. A wonderful mankind’s creation in a beautiful setting of Central Bali.
- Kerta Gosa: Bali’s Palace of Justice. A small pavilion of justice with some dauntingly vivid ceiling paintings.
- The Unforgiving Rinjani. Taming the natural giant, only to be engulfed by its might.
- Lombok Beaches Part 1: Changing Faces. The pictures of Lombok’s pristine beaches, before completely changed forever.
- Lombok Beaches Part 2: Paradise Found. Truly a piece of paradise in a remote corner of the island of Lombok.
- Sasak Dishes: A Twist in Taste. The unique and addictive dishes of Sasak people in Lombok.
- The Fading Charm of the Little Netherlands. Exploring the Dutch colonial quarter of Semarang.
- Bromo: Third Time’s A Charm. Every visit to this breathtaking Indonesian landscape has its own story.
- Nusa Lembongan: Small Island, Big Allure. The island of paradise has its own often forgotten paradise.
- Nusa Ceningan: A Safe Haven for Birds. A safe place for birds in the time when more birds are caught and sold.
- Taman Sari: Life in The Sultan’s Own Backyard. A look into the ruins of Jogja’s Water Castle.
- A Day Without Temples in Jogja. Exploring Java’s cultural center, skipping the ancient temples altogether.
- A Glimpse of Malang. The impressions from a short visit to East Java’s second city.
- Medan’s Chinese Heritage. The oriental taste in Indonesia’s third biggest city.
- A Taste of the Archipelago. More culinary adventure from places around Indonesia.
- Venerating Gods and Spirits in Bali. A brief history on Balinese artistic finesse.
- Politics, Religion and Art at Jakarta’s Focal Point. My first visit to the capital’s focal point in 18 years.
- Feeling, Breathing Ubud. Snapshots from Bali’s cultural center.
- Tirta Empul: Spring of Gods. The history behind the fascinating ritual performed in this Balinese temple.
- Terraces of Life. On a land where rice terraces abound.
- The Moon and the Rock. Two of Bali’s less-visited tourism sights.
- The Jewel of Eastern Bali. Bali’s less-known beautiful sight, far from the crowded south.
- Peacefulness by the Water. Another less-known beautiful sight in Bali’s eastern region.
- A Smokey Business in Kaliasin. A humble beginning of a sought-after Javanese delicacy.
- A Night of Endless Captivation. One of the most amazing traditional dance performances in my life.
- Revisiting Bali’s Spiritual Monuments. Three monuments symbolizing the stages in human’s life.
- Places of Worship: Beyond the Structure. Short stories from some of Semarang’s most interesting places of worship.
- Anniversary of the Big Durian. The Indonesian capital turns 487 this year.
- The Tale of Two Temples. How a Majapahit priest laid the foundation of Balinese Hinduism.
- A Bat Cave Like No Other. Bats are not the only ones living in the cave, purportedly.
- Flores: From Maumere to Komodo. An overview of the magical eastern Indonesian island of Flores.
- Sikka: Traces of A Kingdom. A short visit to an unlikely historical place in southern Flores.
- Kelimutu: A Dream Fulfilled. A visit to the three colored mountain lakes on the island of Flores.
- Ende: The Birthplace of Pancasila. A little town where the nation’s ideology was born.
- Wogo and Bena: A Tradition Preserved. A glimpse of unique blend of Ngadanese ancient rituals and Catholicism.
- Life in the Land of Abundance. With rice terraces so vast and majestic, Manggarai is truly a place of wonders.
- Western Flores: Heading to the Dragons. Embarking on a journey to meet prehistoric creatures.
- Komodo: A Magnificent Conclusion. An unforgettable trip concluded in a tropical paradise.
- Dance of An Eternal Battle. Bali’s depiction of the eternal battle between virtue and evil.
- Candidasa: A Lesson for All. Learning from the mistakes of a Balinese coastal community to prevent it from happening again.
- A Mother’s Trouble. How Bali’s holiest temple is engulfed with mass tourism-related problems.
- Revitalizing A Haunted Building. Bringing back Semarang’s notoriously haunted building to its former glory.
- Tastes of the Island of Gods. Bali is known for its beauty, but its food has yet to get the same attention.
- An Epic Love Story, Retold. Incorporating Ramayana in one of the most iconic Balinese dances.
- Paris of Java, Past and Present. Understanding Bandung’s colonial heritage to revive the city’s long-gone charm.
- The Menjangan Part 1: Sweet Air & Birdsong. A Balinese eco-resort loaded with surprises from the nature.
- The Menjangan Part 2: Underwater Gardens. Stories and images from one of Bali’s most beautiful snorkeling/diving sites.
- The Dutch, the Caretaker, and the Little Girl. Impressions from Bali’s tranquil northern temples.
- Jakarta’s Focal Points: A Historical Perspective. One day, two focal points, three explorers in the Indonesian capital.
- Batukaru: Sight, Sound, Taste. A rejuvenating stay in Bali’s pristine rainforest.
- Bogor at A Glance. Impressions of Jakarta’s southern neighbor.
- The Burgeoning Pearl of the Musi. Images and stories from South Sumatra’s thriving capital.
- From Fish Balls to Submarines. Dishes from South Sumatra, relatively unknown to people outside Indonesia.
- Taman Ayun: Beauty in Serenity. A second visit to one of the most recognizable temples in Bali.
- Three Months across Indonesia. The highlights of my three-month trip across the country.
- Dieng: Dawn of Javanese Hindu Temples. On Dieng Plateau at the heart of Java and its history.
- Sailendra: From Shaivism to Mahayana Buddhism. A story of the beginning of the Sailendras and the Sanjayas.
- Dharanindra: King of Medang and Srivijaya. A brief history of King Indra, conqueror of foreign lands from Java.
- Borobudur: A Mahayana Buddhist Masterpiece. Images and stories of the world’s biggest Buddhist monument.
- Prambanan: Resurgence of Hinduism in Java. Javanese Hindus’ answer to Borobudur.
- Pramodhawardhani: the Buddhist Patroness in Hindu Java. An interfaith royal marriage in ancient Java.
- Ratu Boko: A Palace of Conundrum. Probably the most enigmatic ancient site in the Kewu Plain.
- Banda Aceh over the Centuries. A brief history of a land from which Islam spread to the entire archipelago.
- Rise of Islam in Java. When the once stronghold of Hinduism embraced Islam.
- Cirebon: A Cultural Melting Pot. A brief look at Cirebon’s history and how cultural assimilation changed the city.
- Candi Cetho: A Creation of Those Who Remained. A story on one of Java’s last major Hindu temples.
- Minangkabau: the Land of Buffalo Horns. A glimpse of the unique culture and architecture of the Minang people.
- Islands that Changed the World: Ternate & Tidore. What significance did these small islands have in the 16th century?
- Ternate: Science and Superstition. Alfred Russell Wallace’s playground happens to be a place where superstitions live on.
- Ambon: Colonialism, Peace and Music. The story of a city once ruled by the Europeans, and its recovery from conflicts in the past.
- Islands that Changed the World: the Bandas. The Banda Islands’ fertile soil is both a blessing and a curse.
- Run for Manhattan. A twist in the world history only a few people are aware of.
- The Banda Islands: Land and Sea. Both on land and in the sea, the Bandas are truly blessed with abundance.
- The Faces of Banda. The friendly people I met during my two-week stay in the Banda Islands.
- Medan: From Deli to Tjong A Fie. Beyond the rugged surface of Indonesia’s fourth biggest city lies precious cultural gems.
- Batak: From Traditional Beliefs to Christianity. A brief history on how Christianity reached this often misjudged community.
- Toraja: Where Life Revolves around Death. A glimpse of the unique cultural landscape of South Sulawesi’s highlands.
- Sweet Food from the Heart of Java. Javanese cooking and its association with sweetness.
- Baluran: Into the Wilderness. A slice of Africa in the remote corner of East Java.
- A Tale of Three Cities: Jakarta. Past, present and future of the Indonesian capital.
- Penataran: Appeasing the Mountain God. A centuries-old Hindu temple in East Java which still impresses today.
- Semarang: My Cherished Hometown. Slow, friendly, cheap, what’s not to love about this city?
- Fragrant Water and Putrid Air. A story on Banyuwangi and the crater of Mount Ijen.
- Ngempon, Twelve Centuries Later. A brief story on Semarang’s lesser-known ancient temple.
- South Sulawesi: From Cave Art to A Modern City. Home to the world’s oldest hand stencil and a thriving city.
- Architectural Gems of Old Cirebon. The lesser known Dutch heritage of this coastal city in West Java.
- Candi Badut: A Remnant of Kanjuruhan. What is left from an obscure eighth-century kingdom from East Java.
- Singhasari: Bloodshed and Beauty. Power struggles of a 13th-century Javanese kingdom.
- Singhasari: Rise and Fall. When the Mongols attempted to conquer Java.
- Javanese Royal Palaces: Surakarta. First of three posts on three formerly unified kingdoms of Java.
- Javanese Royal Palaces: Yogyakarta. Second of three posts on three formerly unified kingdoms of Java.
- Javanese Royal Palaces: Mangkunegaran. Third of three posts on three formerly unified kingdoms of Java.
- Radya Pustaka: A Forlorn Museum. The troubles Indonesia’s second-oldest museum faces.
- Blitar under the Radar. Stories and postcards from a low-key city in East Java.
- Banjarmasin: A Flood of Memories. Visiting a city I left more than three decades ago.
- Surabaya: Brash and Brave. A short account on Indonesia’s second largest city.
- Belitung through My Phone. It’s always wise to bring your camera when you travel.
- 10 Years in Jakarta. A reflection on my tenth year living in the Indonesian capital.
- Trowulan: An Ancient Javanese City. What remains from Indonesia’s only surviving ancient city.
- Trowulan: Beauty in Red Brick. From a once-buried temple to a towering modern-esque one.
- Killing Time in Semarang. Alternative places to visit in the Central Javan city.
- Bandung Part 1: Civic Spaces. Exploring some of the legacies of Ridwan Kamil.
- Bandung Part 2: Art Spaces. Some of the best art venues the city has to offer.
- ARTJOG 2019: A Retrospective. Stories and images from the most exciting art event I’ve ever been to.
- A Morning with Javanese Jesus. Visiting a unique church at the heart of Java.
- Ancol: Dreaming of Blue Skies. A throwback to my first city exploration in 2019.
- Embracing the Southern Lifestyle. Life in the southern part of Jakarta.
- Ngawen & Losari: Temples on the Outskirts of Jogja. Two lesser-known temples around Jogja.
- Sambisari & Kedulan: the Underground Temples. Two sites that were once buried deep in the ground for centuries.
- Candi Ijo: A Silent Witness of Change. Looking at the grand scheme of things from the perspective of an ancient temple.
- Post-Pandemic Travel Dream: Appreciating the Little Things. Dreaming of the day when the pandemic is over.
- Reminiscing the Old Normal. A nostalgia of life before Covid-19.
- Batujaya: Dawn of an Era. A quick visit to Indonesia’s oldest temple ruins.
- A Change of Heart about Semarang. This must be among the best things that happened to me in 2020.
- Kota Lama: Between Restoration and Reinvention. Semarang’s old town is at a crossroads.
- The Hong Kong and Paris Trips that Never Happened. A tribute to my father.
- Vestiges of Semarang’s Ethnic Quarters. Visiting the city’s Chinese, Muslim and Malay areas.
- New Spirit of A Grande Dame. How Semarang reinvents itself.
- Exploring the World, Pandemic Style. Jakarta’s international cuisine selection has grown even more exciting.
- A Slice of Taiwan in Semarang. Taiwan’s soft power at display in the city.
- Snippets of Yogyakarta. Images from my trip to this part of Java in 2015 that have never been published.
- A Short Escape to Ambarawa. A half-day trip to a small town near Semarang.
- Cisadon and A Look Back at 2021. A reflection on a really tough year for me.
- Garut: A Warm Welcome in A Cool City. On completing a trip that was long overdue.
- Raw Beauty of Papandayan. A pleasant hike to a picturesque volcano.
- Lessons from Kampung Naga. Revisiting a picturesque traditional village in West Java.
- Why Tegal? A trip down the memory lane to an unassuming city on Java.
- Jakarta, Three Ways. Exploring the Indonesian capital from three perspectives.
- Sarinah: A Compelling Restoration. A fresh look of Indonesia’s oldest department store.
- Tasting Jakarta. A compilation of Betawi dishes based on my experience.
- Candi Selogriyo: A Picturesque Detour. Visiting a small ancient temple in a beautiful setting.
- No Peacock at Candi Merak. A brief stop at a lesser-known ancient temple at the heart of Java.
- A Ride to the Past. Visiting Jakarta’s most beautiful train station and delving into its history.
- Puncak: Jakarta’s Lush Backyard. Visiting the mountainous region south of Jakarta.
- Mount Kencana: Into the Tea Country. A proper visit to an expansive tea estate in West Java.
- Prambanan: The One that Keeps Calling. My nth time visiting this endlessly fascinating ancient temple.
- Candi Bubrah & Lumbung: Overlooked and Underrated. A visit to two smaller temples near Prambanan.
- Impressions of Japan. Impressions of one of my dream destinations.
- Osaka Calling. Impressions of Japan’s second largest city.
- Okayama Delights. This is a place I can see myself returning one day just to eat.
- The Invincible White Heron. The history of Japan’s most magnificent castle.
- Kurashiki: A Glimpse of Pre-War Japan. What Japan would have looked like if its cities were not bombed.
- Kyoto: A Prologue. The exploration of Japan’s former capital begins.
- Kyoto’s Pavilions of Beauty. Visiting ancient Japanese capital’s gold and silver pavilions.
- Nijo-jo: From the Hollyhock to the Chrysanthemum. A story on a palace for the shoguns.
- A Vermilion Dream. Impressions of Kyoto’s Fushimi Inari Taisha.
- A Pilgrimage to Purity. Any visit to Kyoto’s Kiyomizu-dera should begin with a pure intention.
- Kyoto Sanctuaries: Yasaka Shrine and Chion-in. A Shinto shrine and a Buddhist temple at the heart of Kyoto.
- Eating Well in Kyoto. From centuries-old establishments to modern restaurants, Kyoto is perfect for foodies.
- Chasing the Sun in Nara. A day trip to one of Japan’s ancient capitals.
- Heian Shrine: A Blast to the Past. How Japan’s national expo brought a long-gone palace to life.
- Jordan and A Travel Resolution Fulfilled. Country number 30 and the completion of 302020.
- Amman’s Layers of History. A brief history of the Jordanian capital.
- Along the Colonnaded Street of Jerash. A visit to one of the best-preserved Roman ruins in the world.
- Madaba’s Marvelous Mosaics. Underneath the roofs of the city’s churches lie spectacular mosaics.
- Petra the Magnificent – Part 1. First of two posts on this ancient wonder.
- Petra the Magnificent – Part 2. Second and final post on this great Nabatean city.
- Wadi Rum: Where Imagination Runs Wild. Experience Jordan’s magical desert.
- A Taste of the Levant: Jordan. Differences between Jordanian and Lebanese foods, and more.
- Lao Food: I Lao You! Take a quick look at some of the most delicious dishes I’ve ever tasted ever!
- Vientiane: The Rush-Free Capital. Venture into Southeast Asia’s most laid-back capital.
- The Long Road to Luang Prabang. The ups and downs during the 11-hour minivan ride from Vientiane to Luang Prabang.
- The Soothing Charm of Luang Prabang. A glimpse of daily life in Laos’ second city.
- The Wat and The Waterfall. Luang Prabang’s cultural and natural highlights.
- Lebanon: Charming at Every Turn. An introduction to the series on this beguiling Middle Eastern nation.
- Beirut’s Scars and Hope. The convoluted history of Lebanon and its capital.
- Beirut Art through the Millennia. Beirut’s status as the region’s art hub has a long history.
- Into Lebanon’s Snowy Realms. This is a piece of the Middle East most people are unaware of.
- Bsharri and the Holy Valley. Probably one of the most beautiful places in the entire Middle East.
- A Valley Between the Snows. A journey to Lebanon’s notorious Beqaa Valley.
- The Temple of the Wine God. A visit to a spectacular Roman temple.
- Anjar: From the Umayyads to the Armenians. Discover this lesser-known gem of Lebanon.
- A Taste of the Levant: Lebanon. A glimpse of this nation’s exciting culinary scene.
- Um Dia na Macau (One Day in Macau). Take a glimpse of the first European post in the Far East.
- Macau: the World’s Last Portuguese Colony. Macau’s past, present and future in brief.
- It’s Kay-El, Not Kal-El. The story of Kuala Lumpur, a rapidly-changing city.
- Kuala Lumpur Bird Park and What We Can Learn from It. A wildlife sanctuary in the middle of a bustling city.
- Batu Caves and The Calling to Go to India. India is now in my top list thanks to this place.
- Just Passing Through, Kuala Lumpur. A short essay on my usual city of transit.
- Malacca: the Gateway to East Asia. A brief history of the once important port in the Strait of Malacca.
- George Town’s Light and Shadow. The history of colonial Penang.
- Penang and the Chinese Diaspora in Southeast Asia. Southeast Asia’s Chinese communities’ contribution to the region.
- Yangon: A City-Sized Time Capsule. A city which struggles to live in the modern era without leaving its precious heritage.
- Shwedagon: More Than Just Another Pagoda. The heart of Burmese people’s religious life.
- Shwedagon: Buddhism in the Land of Gold. A second visit to Myanmar’s most sacred pilgrimage site.
- Bagan Rising. The rise of one of the greatest Buddhist empires in the region.
- Bagan: Into Turbulent Time. A series of assassinations in the darker period of the kingdom.
- Bagan: An Empire in Decline. The demise of a once powerful Buddhist kingdom in Southeast Asia.
- Indein: Abandoned and Forgotten. Images of a less-known corner of Myanmar’s Inle Lake.
- Nyaung Shwe: A Town on the Edge. Images and stories from the gateway to Inle Lake.
- Mandalay and the Last Burmese Kingdom. The fall of Burmese last monarch and the beginning of British Burma.
- Yangon, Three Years Later. In just three years’ time, changes are palpable in the city.
- A Waterworld Called Inle. There is more than just the lake.
- Bhaktapur the Resilient. Stories and images of one of the oldest cities in the country.
- Patan the Beautiful. History and images of Lalitpur, the ancient city of beauty.
- Kathmandu the Eclectic. Travel notes from Nepal’s capital seven months after the earthquake.
- Kirtipur the Brave. A small ancient town with an intriguing history.
- Pokhara: Beyond the Hiking Trails. The city is so much more than just a hiking base camp.
- Kathmandu’s Garden of Dreams. Visiting an unlikely oasis at the heart of the Nepalese capital.
- Manila: Where Spanish, American and Asian Cultures Meet. Feeling and tasting the heart of The Philippine islands.
- Intramuros: The Heart of Spanish Manila. The remnants of the Spanish era in Asia.
- Manila’s Chinese Cemetery: An Extravagant Showcase of The Dead People. You think all cemetery is gloomy and scary? Think again!
- Within the Walls of Intramuros. Walking through a piece of Spain in Asia.
- Lion City. See, feel and experience life in Southeast Asia’s richest country.
- A Half-Day Visit to Half-Open Universal Studios Singapore. See what this place has to offer, for now.
- Singapore Through Times. A brief history of the small island-nation.
- The People Who Stayed. A story on the influence of Peranakan communities across Southeast Asia.
- Colonial Splendor of the Lion City. Visiting Singapore’s British colonial heritage.
- Building A Multicultural Singapore. Three enclaves, one city.
- The Red Dot: A Matter of Being Too Perfect. The matter of Singapore’s tourism campaign.
- Creating A City in A Garden. Singapore’s endeavor to go beyond a city with many gardens.
- A Tale of Three Cities: Singapore. How Singapore transformed into a regional financial hub.
- Tang Shipwreck: Digging into Controversy. Challenges in global archaeological excavation practices.
- Eastern Asian Religions under One Roof. Impressive religion-themed collection of the Asian Civilisations Museum.
- First Time in Seoul. Impressions of the South Korean capital.
- The House of Korean Treasures. Why the National Museum of Korea is a must-see place in Seoul.
- Destruction and Rebirth of Gyeongbokgung. The history of Korea’s grandest royal palace.
- Korean Food: Colors and Textures. Some of South Korean delicacies which I tried during my short stay in Seoul.
- Jongmyo: Walking alongside the Spirits. A brief history of South Korea’s most important Confucian shrine.
- Changdeokgung: The Finest of the Five. The most preserved of all ancient palaces in Seoul.
- Colombo: Tickling The Senses. A brief introduction to my series on Sri Lanka.
- Anuradhapura: Among The Giant Stupas. Roaming through Sri Lanka’s most ancient town.
- Fresco Deco of Dambulla. A glimpse look into Sri Lanka’s best preserved cave complex.
- Polonnaruwa: A Timeless Elegance. A visit to a beautiful ancient city, concluded by the unexpected encounter with wild elephants.
- A Dream Palace, Sigiriya. An impressive palace ruins on the summit of a monolith, with a dark history.
- Kandy: More Than Eye Candy. Some interesting stories from my short jaunt to the country’s second city.
- The Sri Lankan Train Misadventures. The most intense train journey ever!
- Anuradhapura: The Advent of Buddhism in Sri Lanka. First part of Chapter 1 of the Spice Odyssey series.
- Sigiriya: A Lethal Ambition. A period when the kingdom of Anuradhapura was ruled from Sigiriya.
- The Great Heritage of Polonnaruwa. Heritage of Sri Lanka’s second oldest kingdom.
- Madu Ganga: Following the Cinnamon Scent. A half-day exploration into Sri Lanka’s wetland.
- Galle Fort: Battleground of the Europeans. The Portuguese, Dutch and British once fought to control this fort.
- Rejuvenated in Kandy. Sri Lanka’s second city never fails to impress me.
- Reviving Colombo’s Cosmopolitan Flair. Sri Lanka’s biggest city is indeed a gem waiting to be polished.
- Buddhist Treasures Beneath A Rock. Revisiting Sri Lanka’s cave temple in Dambulla.
- Memories of Anuradhapura. Images from Sri Lanka’s ancient capital.
- Taipei: Thriving Amidst Uncertainties. A glimpse look at the capital of a country which constantly seeks for others’ recognition.
- Heading South, Going Indigenous. A train journey to the southeastern part of Taiwan.
- Taitung: Aspiring to be Inspirational. A small city trying to be interesting and inspiring, with a lot of homework to do.
- Orchid Island: Taiwan’s Tropical Paradise. A small island with abundant natural beauty.
- The Uneasy History of the Tao. Even a paradise has its own dark chapters.
- An Epicurean Adventure of Taiwan. The tastes of Ilha Formosa.
- Bangkok: A City of Many Faces. A little story and few pictures about the Thai capital.
- The Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaew. Get amazed by the true beauty of this Thai royal palace.
- Wat Pho: The House of The World’s Largest Reclining Buddha. Take a closer look at the world’s largest reclining Buddha.
- Wat Arun: The Temple of The Dawn. Climb the steep steps and enjoy the view.
- Golden Mountain: An Oasis at The Heart of Bangkok. Green and peaceful, away from tourist traps.
- Bangkok, Again. A short visit to the Thai capital.
- Bangkok and the Anglo-French Tug of War. A brief history of Thailand’s independence from European colonization.
- Sights from Asia’s Lusophonic Corner. Part 1 of the chronicles of Timor-Leste.
- An Eye-Opening Journey to the East. Part 2 of the chronicles of Timor-Leste.
- Venilale: Putting Together Pieces of the Puzzle. Part 3 of the chronicles of Timor-Leste.
- Istanbul, A Prologue. The first post of a series of stories from the great city.
- The Architectural Marvels of Constantinople. Two great monuments, shaped by the intense rivalry between the world’s great religions.
- Istanbul’s Roman Footprints. Tracing the footprints of the once great empire in one of the world’s greatest cities.
- Grand Palaces of the Ottomans. The tale of two palaces and the once ailing country.
- Istanbul: A Feline’s Paradise. A photo-essay on the well-fed and well-treated cats in the city.
- Rumelihisarı: Built for Conquest. A great fortress built to conquer a great city.
- The Day when Coldness Brought Warmth. Heartwarming encounters in the middle of the Turkish winter.
- Istanbul’s Bazaars: Beyond Commodities. Stories of life of the people within the bazaars.
- Beyoğlu: Where Cultures Collide. A glimpse of Istanbul’s modern heart where cultures collide.
- Turkish Cuisine: A Delectable Experience. A photoessay on some of Turkey’s most amazing delicacies.
- An Aftertaste of Istanbul. 10 months on, the sweet memory lingers.
- The Fall of Constantinople. When Constantinople fell to the hands of the Ottomans, the world would change forever.
- Ho Chi Minh City: The Face of A Rapidly Changing Nation. Explore Vietnam’s biggest city.
- Underground Guerrilla 101 at Cu Chi Tunnels. Experience the notorious underground network of tunnels of Vietnam.
- War Remnants Museum: Remembering The Atrocities of War. War is bad, and this is the right place to find out why.
- Reunification Palace: The Place Where Vietnam War Ended. The silent witness of the reunification of Vietnam.
- Harmony at The Great Temple of Cao Dai. Harmony in one of the most bizarre ways.
- Enchanting Vietnamese Water Puppet Show. Entertainment doesn’t have to be sophisticated!
- My Son: Beauty in Desolation. Remnants of what was once an influential power in central Vietnam.
- Hue Citadel: Echoes of Imperial Vietnam. A glimpse into the palace of Vietnam’s last dynasty.
- Hue Tombs: Opulence for Eternity. Each tomb is more lavishly decorated than the others.
- Da Nang and the Friendly Dragon. An exploration of Vietnam’s third biggest city.
- The Custodian of Champa’s Treasures. Not all is lost from the lost kingdom of Vietnam.
- Hoi An: A Revived Old Beauty. The story of one of Vietnam’s most picturesque port towns.
- Eurotrip. A summary of my one-month travel in five European countries.
- Leaving Thailand, Entering Cambodia. Story and information about crossing the Thai-Cambodian border.
- Leaving Cambodia, Entering Vietnam. Story and images from the road from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City.
- In Search of Spices. Announcing the Spice Trip, the biggest trip I will be taking so far!
- Out of the Archipelago. Summary of months 4 to 6 of the Spice Odyssey.
- The Spice Odyssey, A Prologue. An introduction to the Spice Odyssey series on my blog.
- Sabang and Hikkaduwa: After the Tsunami. The present state of two places devastated by the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.
- Zheng He and the Treasure Voyages. A story on one of the world’s greatest sea expeditions.
- Bounty from the Earth and Sea. Food in Southeast Asia prior to the arrival of the Chinese, Indians and Europeans.
- The Chinese Connection. Chinese influences in Southeast Asian cuisines.
- Influences from Bharat. How Indian spices and dishes changed Southeast Asian cuisines.
- Here Come the Europeans. How European colonization changed the way Asians eat.
- Food Nationalism. Is it even relevant today?
- 15 Years On. A reflection on my first international trip.
- My 7 Links – A Quick Look to My Old Posts. 7 of my old posts for “My 7 Links” project.
- Versatile Blogger Award (of Mine). 7 random facts about me.
- My First Time Writing a Guest Post. I wrote for another blogger, for the first time!
- 7 Super Shots of What an Amazing World!. Just having fun for taking part in HostelBookers 7 Super Shots fun game.
- Awards Season 2012. From bloggers to bloggers, spread the love!
- Five Colors from What an Amazing World! Memories of blue, green, yellow, white and red of my past travels.
- Behind the Scenes at What an Amazing World! Five years of blogging, one constantly changing travel blog to take care of.
Looks good man. I actually am liking your set up here with the Index up top and the country/continent list in the widget section.
How come you came back to the Choco Theme? – I noticed you change da few days back.
Thanks man! I tried to make everything easy to navigate.
Why Choco Theme again? well, I did try to use several different themes a few weeks back, but then I decided that Choco fits me best, for now. However, I did a little customization though (such as the site title font).
By the way this index page was actually inspired by yours 🙂
Yeah, it looks good, and actually the site title really made me say “wow” …believe it or not – it looks great for such a “small thing”. Great work. I clicked back between my site and yours a few times and the title makes a big difference.
You can have your own customized site title by clicking Typekit Fonts in your Dashboard. Anyhow, your photos are much more awesome than mine. I still have to learn so many photo technique.
WOW, Bama! WOW … I’m speechless with this index.
You are globetrotter, indeed.
Well, that’s what I’m dreaming of. Hopefully the day will come for me to become a true globetrotter! 🙂
Pingback: Awards Season 2012 « What an Amazing World!
Hello, you’ve visited some amazing places! You haven’t mentioned our little Malta yet, maybe one day you’ll visit it too!
Take a look at some of the pictures and videos on http://sunsleepstudymalta.com
It’s a charming tiny Island in the middle of the Mediterranean!
Hi Stefie! Thanks for your suggestion. Actually after watching a BBC program on Malta, I really want to go there one day. Small islands, big history.
I can’t wait to start my own life of travel. Your blog is truly inspiring! I’ve only skimmed the surface of what you’ve posted about over the years, can’t wait to read more!
Thanks for your kind words Sydney! Happy gallivanting! 🙂
I love this index and the comment about visiting Malta! Will be following you for sure.
Thanks Naomi! I’m glad you enjoyed my blog!
Love your blog!!! I’m also starting my own traveling blog…sooo excited
Thank you! Blogging is all about writing what you’re excited about, and share the spirit to the world.
LikeLiked by 1 person
hello nice to meet you, i’m asyraf from Sulawsi Indonesia and follow ur blog, please follow back
Hi Asyraf. Thank you for dropping by!
where r u from